Welcome to the website of St John the Evangelist, Forres!
St John’s is a living, worshipping, inclusive, community of Episcopalians. Our aim is to share the grace of our Lord Jesus, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, with one another, our community and beyond. The Eucharist is the focus of our life together and we warmly welcome you to join us at any of our services.
The church was designed in 1841 by Patrick Wilson but very soon afterwards remodelled by Thomas Mackenzie in the Italian Style with its Wheel Window: three arch loggia at ground level and its impressive four storey Tuscan Campanile. Despite its deceiving appearance, it is one of the older buildings of the Scottish Episcopal Church in Scotland.
The most striking features of the interior of the Church are the three wall-sized murals. Two are by the artist Hole and dated 1906 and 1912 while the third is by Haswell Miller. It was created in 1936 after a design by Hole. The imposing mural behind the high altar is of the Last Supper and that in the Baptistry is of Christ blessing the children.
The Church is open every day from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm and everyone is welcome to visit and spend time in this beautiful Church.
St John’s, located in the beautiful Morayshire town of Forres, is in the Diocese of Moray Ross and Caithness, the most northerly of the seven Dioceses that make up the Province of our Church.
The latest edition of Eagle is available in church and via this link.
Priest in charge: The Reverend Doctor Hamilton Inbadas
Telephone 01309 672856
Postal address St John’s Rectory, Victoria Road, Forres IV36 3BN
Email Hamilton, our Priest-in-Charge, at firstname.lastname@example.org